Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Why is it not recommended to scan for spyware and viruses in safe mode?

Everyone tells me to turn off system restore, scan in safe mode, delete viruses and spyware, and then return to normal mode and turn system restore back on.



Why is it not recommended to scan for spyware and viruses in safe mode?computer security



Hi,



Yes as the answerer above me stated Safe Mode is ideal to run your scans. Safe mode runs only the bare minimum programs essential to start and run windows. I personally do not recommend turning off System Restore. I have had great success with the scanning for adware/scumware on my machine and when using the "Custom" scanning it scans the backups and archives and has found problems in them and cleared them out.



Case in point---%26gt; Some scumware writer found a new way to get past the scanning engines of all I had tried. I personally use Ad Aware to great success. Well Ad Aware could not get rid of this malware. Everytime I turned my machine on there it was ... My new wallpaper was a big web page! I ran in normal mode, safe mode to no avail. I then downloaded all the spyware scanners that are recommended on here and all to no avail. I finally went into system restore and restored it to a couple days before my infestation. SUCCESS!!! Life was good. I went through my computer and found some remnants of the cursed scumware. After a couple weeks of running my scanner it finally recognized the scumware that was leftover and deleted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment